3DHOP Help


Left Mouse Button + Move-Rotate 3D Model
CTRL + Left Mouse Button + Move-Pan 3D Model
Middle Mouse Button + Move-Pan 3D Model
Mouse Wheel-Zoom In/Out
-Reset View
- Zoom In
- Zoom Out
-Toggle Light control: Left Mouse Button + Move to change light direction.
-Toggle Hotspots: Click on highlighted geometries to get additional info
-Toggle Fullscreen

-- Legend Color Coding --

Yellow-archaeological evidence or its consequence
Orange-archaeological evidence + literary sources
Red-literary sources

The chancel

Foundations of the chancel were found in the excavation that took place at Dalby in 1919 (Anjou, 1930, p. 26-28). The remnants of the door in the northern wall were also found (Anjou, 1930, p. 40). It is assumed that the chancel had the same height (Welin 2012, p. 180).

The nave

Large parts of the original nave are still preserved. The arcades and pillars were reconstructed on the basis of the excavation map of 1919. The original windows had a dimension of 2,5m x 1,2m and some of them are still visible in today’s church (Anjou, 1930, p. 39). The windows were modelled according to their original position that was determined from the original windows that we can still see today at the outside above the roof of the southern side aisle (the second, third and fifth window from the west in the model.

Southern Side Aisle

A very large part of the southern side aisle has been preserved. The missing parts were modelled according to the excavation map from 1919. The height of 5,3m (Welin 2012, p. 180) is concluded from the signs from the wooden beams that are still visible on the outside of the northern wall as a straight line at 5,5m (Anjou 1930, p.38).

Northern Side Aisle

The foundations of the northern side aisle were found in the excavation of 1919 (Anjou, 1930, p. 28-29). Also the remnants of the entrance were found (Anjou, 1930, p. 40). The height of the walls were made the same than in the southern side aisle.

Southern Lateral Tower

The southern lateral tower is an interpretation by Welin of the L-wall that was found south of the crypt in the 60's (Welin 2012, p. 187-193).

Central Tower Narthex

The central tower of the narthex is based on an interpretation of Welin, who suggests that walls of the crypt that we see today contain parts of the original church (Welin 2012,p. 190). It was modelled following the outline of the crypt, but with thinner walls of 117cm. The closed portal that is situated today in the first floor above the crypt belongs to the original church according to Welin. It was used to determine the height of the rooms inside the central and lateral towers. Welin suggests that the central tower was either as high as the nave or higher. It was modelled higher because the central tower is slightly broader than the nave, which would make it more difficult to make a joint roof. For each floor the walls were made 20-25cm thinner to take into consideration the construction of the ceilings. On the third floor the walls reach a thickness of only 50cm and the walls were not made thinner at the height of the fourth floor.


Many researches believe that the well that is situated today in the north-western corner of the crypt belongs actually to the original church (Ericsson 2012, Nilsson 2012).

Northern Lateral Tower

No archaeological remains could be unearthed from the northern lateral tower. Welin assumes that the narthex had a southern and northern lateral tower of the same shape (Welin 2012, p. 190).

Windows Side Aisles and Chancel

No evidence is left of the original windows in the side aisles and the chancel. They were reconstructed according to style coherence with round arches and in the same size than the windows in the nave, with exception of the window in the eastern facade of the chancel which was modelled much larger.

The first and second floor of the central tower

There is no evidence of how the central room in the groundfloor of the narthex could have communicated with the nave and the lateral towers. However, Welin suggests that there were three arcades towards the nave and that the floor in the central room was at the same height than the floor in the crypt today(Welin 2012, p. 191). The steps towards the nave were modelled with the same dimensions than the original steps of the crypt of 20x20cm (Anjou 1930, p. 61). Welin also assumes that the first floor probably opened up towards the nave through galleries (Welin 2012, p. 191). He does not specify how the central room is connected to the lateral towers and thus they only received typical Romanesque large round arched portals.

The window beneath the portal and the entrance to the lateral towers

There is no evidence of a window beneath the portal on the first floor or the door in the southern lateral tower. However, Welin suggests that there the original church used to have a window where now the portal of the crypt is situated. Furthermore, he believes that the lateral towers most likely had entrances for themselves and where open towards the outside (Welin 2012, p. 190). The door was modelled at the center of the lateral tower, with the floor in the tower at the same height than the floor outside the church, which is about 50cm higher than the floor in the central room (according to Welin the same than in the crypt today). This is the reason why the arcade between the lateral tower and the central room, received steps to overcome this difference in the height of the groundfloor.

The uppermost floor in the central tower

There is no evidence of how the upper floors of the central towers looked like and how they were used. However, since romanesque towers often were also used as belltowers it was decided to model the uppermost floor of the central tower with sound openings.

Windows and doors

There is no evidence of the windows in the lateral and central tower or how the central tower and the lateral tower comunicated on the upper floors. Also Welin does not give any suggestions. Thus, windows and doors were modelled based only on style coherence and logic.

The height of the nave

The height of the nave is assumed to be 11,5m (Anjou, 1930; pp. 38-39).

Reliability map of the reconstruction on the Narthex Basilica